- Outstanding writing and editing abilities
- Consummate researcher
- Proven leader with excellent project management and strategic planning skills
- Extensive social media/blogging experience
- Experienced photographer and videographer
10/2009 – present: Freelance Journalist Develop features, cover stories and department stories about extraordinary people, health/wellness/nutrition, travel and the environment for USA Today, CNN.com, NBCnews.com, FOXnews.com, ISLANDS, matadornetwork.com, shermanstravel.com and others.
12/2007 – 9/2009: Senior Writer, Knight (FirstMonday, Pegasus and LIME magazines) Gathered news, conducted research and interviews, drafted and edited articles, verified factual content, collaborated with designers, ad sales team, photographers, editor and publisher. Created and maintained relationships with PR sources, juggled multiple writing and editing deadlines and planned yearly editorial calendars. Took photographs when needed.
10/2004 – 11/2007: Public Relations Director, Knight Founded the agency’s PR department and hired staff members. Provided counsel to clients in the areas of strategic communication planning, media relations, marketing support, media training and crisis communication. Supervised staff, interns, freelance writers and PR consultants. Conducted performance evaluations and career development discussions. Worked with team of art directors and Web designers to meet project deadlines. Secured national media placements for numerous clients in daily newspapers, trade publications, magazines and national radio shows.
Accomplishments: • With marketing team, led Chicago developer in year-long campaign, raising $1 million for local charities in what became the “largest fundraising event in Central Florida history.” • Directed publicity effort for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort’s CareerStart and College Program, generating 10,532,901 impressions and raising recruitment levels.
10/2000 – 10/2004: Account Executive, CBR Public Relations Planned PR campaigns and ensured four-member team hit deadlines. Drafted speeches, brochures, Web site content and edited copy written by team members. Researched client industries and business trends extensively, conducted in-depth interviews and developed relevant story ideas.
Accomplishments: • Served as a media spokesperson for the largest privately owned water and wastewater utility in Florida during Hurricane Charley. • Interviewed Bob Greene, Oprah Winfrey’s trainer, on camera.
5/1999 – 10/2000: Editorial News Assistant, Orlando Sentinel Edited articles, verified facts, conducted interviews and wrote feature stories. Compiled police log section, birth, wedding, anniversary and reunion announcements.
8/2000 – 10/2000: Online Producer, Orlando Sentinel Interactive Encoded pages and updated text and Web-exclusive multimedia for Orlando Sentinel Web site.
1/2000 – 10/2000: Editorial Intern, World Publications, Inc. (now Bonnier Corp.) Edited articles, verified facts and wrote stories for Latitudes and Caribbean Travel & Life. Coordinated annual photography contest for Caribbean Travel & Life.
2/1999 – 5/1999: Photography Intern, Orlando Sentinel Traveled with Orlando Sentinel photographers daily to take news and feature photographs.
University of Central Florida, B.A. Journalism, 2000
HONORS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• Named UCF’s “Outstanding Journalism Graduate” (2000)
• Outreach Love mentoring program PR Director/Board of Directors (2002 – 2006)
• Member of PRSA and FPRA Orlando chapters (2004 – 2007)
• Speaker at the University of Central Florida addressing AD/PR 101 class (2005, 2006)
• Mennello Museum of American Art Festival Board of Directors (2007)
• Conference committee: PRSA Orlando Sunshine District Conference; tripled attendance as compared to previous year (2007)
• SATW Institute for Travel Writing & Photography (2007, 2008)
• Florida Magazine Association conference (2008, 2009)